Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Edith Piaf

Today I started google-ing and look into details of Edith Piaf. I realised that she is a very talented singer in France in early40 -60s. I only found out about her well enough yesterday when I watched Marion Cotillard's La Vie En Rose. It was a great movie and she deserves the Oscar she won last year. It was superb performance by her. I could sensed how difficult it was about Edith's life and how Marion could expressed her role well enough in this movie. 5 stars for both the movie and Marion's performance.


When I started to look at some clips of Edith's performances, it reminded me some songs I was familiar with such as La Mome and La Vie En Rose. Those songs were so commonly used in live performances and even some advertisement track. I always love Billie Holiday and now, I found another soulful voice that I love: it's Edith's.


Edith is such a French icon. I also look into her iconic photographs and realised how Marion could look so alike with her: the gestures, hunch-posture, the singing expression. I downloaded the photograph that compares Edith and how Marion look in the movie. It's really comparable. Salute to Edith Piaf and admiration to Marion Cotillard for her great job in La Vie En Rose.

No comments: