Wednesday, February 11, 2009

CNY 09 - Penang Cultural and Heritage Festival 09


I didn't have any expectation about this Penang Cultural and Heritage Festival 09, that was held near Indian street. But it was a good walk around, although it was very hot. Penang government managed to pull out a great activities and it attracted alot of people, tourists and photographers (with high tech DSLR and LENS!!) to the festival. Take a look at some shots I managed to take down:


The stage purposely built for Chinese New Year's performances including veteran singers from Astro.

The interesting part was the Chinese customs and practices were introduced and displayed as exhibited booths to give a hints about how Chinese New Year cultures were practised until the modern day from the past.

Merchandises and traditional clay toys were created and some tourists managed to buy one or two to keep. Some of the merchandises were rare to be seen in the island.



Few of the UNESCO Heritage Sites were located around the streets. One of them was the Khoo Kongsi Temples (if I'm not mistaken). It was impressive. UNESCO was right about its heritage and restoration is surely needed for it.
I took some photographs of old buildings and just love the feeling of this Chinese Baba Nyonya Peranakan architecture of all these buildings. I think a lot of people feels the same as I'm: we wonder what's the old days looks like while walking around this streets?
Then I actually realised this building is so unique: it's kind of English but look Indian to me for the lower level. Or is it Portugese? Strange but really unique. I want to stay there for one night.

I ended up the whole walk around with this demonstration of Big Flag - is it called Chingeh? I didn't feel regret of visiting this Cultural Festival although I was sweaty and hot.
More photographs to come. It shall be Baba Nyonya House.

3 comments:

weipeow said...

OKOK..u win u win. ^^

Wai Khong said...

No la.. I didnt compete with u la.. Just joking. I said i have more pics to put only mah

Szeshee said...

nice photos u have.
i like the traditional clay toy 1
and the last pic flag looks like jalur gemilang. XD